You may think that you know everything there is about WordPress but just because you know the basics it doesn’t mean you can become a WordPress developer in Melbourne. There are a lot of things you have to understand, as the technology. If you aren’t a programmer and are just learning the material, you probably don’t’ know what PHP/MySQL are, but you can learn.
What to Start With
- One of the first things to learn is PHP and MySQL and how to use them. You can’t just watch some tutorials and fully understand them; you have to learn the newest material, but there are resources that you can use. Places like Lynda and Learnable will have all of the up to date material that will teach you, and you also want to learn about MySQL performance.
- You next want to explore Codebase; this can be found on codebase on Trac and also on Xref. You want to read all of the documentation on these places and understand how they work. And don’t be afraid to look up questions that you have on the material that isn’t familiar to you. And you should also be familiar with the structure of WordPress.
- Do a nightly build; you can set up a development environment and work on it. This way you can stay up to date on the new features, and you can gain knowledge on how to do everything.
- One of the best places to read about WordPress in on the WordPress website. There are discussions that take place on Make WordPress, and you can follow different discussions about things like theme, plugins, and core
Start a WordPress Site
If you want to become a WordPress developer in Melbourne you are going to have to practice what you are learning, you can do this by starting your own WordPress website. This can be something as simple as you own person website to promote your WordPress development and business. Here you can apply everything you learned, and there are some things that you can experiment with while you are practicing on your website.
- There is a list of all of the available APIs on WordPress Codex that you can experiment with and learn how to add them to the site. This will help you learn how to put each one of them on the website.
- Ajax is another WordPress feature that you can experiment with and then you can also learn Ajax plugin and use tutorials to help you.
- On WordPress Codex, there are WordPress PHP Classes that you can take that were created by WordPress developers. After you learn the material from these classes, you can apply them to your practice website.